Vintage Potholders

Untitled

While writing this post, a few things ran through my head after I typed "Vintage Potholders" for the title.  They started with, "To a lot of people this might sound like the most boring post ever, right after 'The Joys of Watching Paint Dry...'" which led to, "Wait, I for one find vintage potholders pretty darn exciting, so what does that say about me?" then to, "I was probably crocheting potholders on a friday night!" and finally leading to "I'm never going to have kids!!" Hahaha, just kidding.  But seriously.

Alright, enough funny business, are you ready to see the potholders that I made for Christmas?!  Do you think you can handle all the excitement that potholders are apt to generate?  Ok!

Untitled

Oh, I should mention that you can find all these vintage patterns for free!  Exciting, no?!  Ok, so this first beauty is from a pattern called Sunflower Potholder.  I used size 3 crochet thread and my handy dandy 2.2 mm crochet hook. I found the pattern easy to understand, but crocheting around the petals was a bit time consuming.  Regardless, I love how it turned out!

Untitled

The next potholder up is the Single Flower Potholder.  Loved this pattern!  It's so pretty, and how cool is that flower in the middle?!

Untitled

I made two potholders from this pattern because I liked it so much!  I know, I'm out of control.

Untitled

Again I used size 3 thread and my go-to hook for that size thread, my 2.2 mm.

Untitled

Mmmm mmmm,  just look at that 3D flower!  You want to touch it, I know you do!

Untitled

Next up is this sassy number... Red and White Pot Holder.  My gauge ended up being a bit smaller for this one, so it took awhile to crochet, but I thought it was such a neat pattern!  In the future if I use size 3 thread for this one I think I'll try a bigger hook, or I may just try a cotton worsted weight yarn with an appropriately sized hook.

Untitled

Oooo, I love those puff stitches!  The alternating colors were just picked up from the rounds before, which leaves very little ends to sew in when you're done!  Woot woot!!

Untitled

The pattern called for making the back the same as the front, but to save time, and to give the potholder a bit more flexibility, I made a simple solid back in double crochet.  It worked out perfectly.  (Straying from the pattern?  Rebel, I tell you.)

So there you have it, my adventures in vintage potholdering (yeah, that's right, I just turned "potholder" into a verb!  It's getting crazy up in here!).  What a wild ride.  In all seriousness, I love how these turned out, and I really love adapting old patterns to use in today's kitchen.  I guess I have a soft spot for tradition and connecting with women of the past. Perhaps I just have a really old soul.  Yeah, I'll go with that...  It explains why I'd be sitting at home crocheting potholders on a Friday night! Hahaha!!

Comments

  1. So, "Pot-holder-Kate" you have been extremely busy with your hook! I love that top flower-shaped one. I have a couple of little ones my mother-in-law made me years and years ago. I could never bring myself to use them because they're so pretty, but they always decorated my kitchen! I couldn't use your lovely single flower one either for the same reason! I like the pale yellow and green pattern with the raised ridge decorating in a curvy X-shape. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely potholders! You've definitely mastered the fine art of potholdering. And don't feel bad about the Friday nights spent crocheting - that's just how we bad people roll! ;)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pot holders , thanks for the link to the patterns,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the one with the red flower!!!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're great, Kate! All the people who MATTER would be excited about crocheted pot holdrers!!! ;-)
    I especially love the last-but-one. I love the colours and the stripes!
    Happy Friday!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the potholders look great. I remember my Grandma having one of the rose potholders (she didn't make it though). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of those single flower potholders hanging on my wall. I didn't make it, got it at a garage sale. I love it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flower one. And the first one too. I have some My Grandma made that are so cool. I want to frame them.
    Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your potholders are just lovely. I am glad I found your blog (through the squaring the big circle pattern on ravelry, of course). I think your potoldering is an art form and these should be framed and displayed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Nice to "meet" you Lynn, and I'm so glad you found the blog!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts