Vintage Inspired Pedestal Tables

Untitled

Today I want to show you the biggest project my dad and I worked on for Christmas.  We made four pedestal tables (two out of oak and two out of maple), based on my Great Grandmother's table that my parents now have.

Untitled

Above is a picture of the original table, which after looking at its construction, my dad thinks was probably made somewhere between the mid and late nineteenth century.  We think we can tell that it was turned on a foot pedal lathe!  Pretty cool huh?

Untitled

With the table as our pattern and inspiration, I turned the body of the table, and my dad made the three legs and the table top (and finished them and put them together).

Untitled

Dad stained the two oak tables (two different colors to match the furniture in the recipients' homes), and then finished them with a satin polyurethane.

Untitled

Untitled

With the two maple tables he used a sanding sealer (to keep as much of the natural wood color as possible) and then finished with the polyurethane.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

For each of the four tables I also made some doilies.  I used the Pale Crocus pattern by C. Strohmeyer from A Year of Doilies.  (The Ravelry pattern page is here.)

Untitled

I used size 10 thread and a 1.5 mm hook.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Overall, we love how the tables turned out!!  I had a lot of fun trying to recreate the table body, however I don't think I'm ready for anything like a chair or table where all the legs have to be exactly the same.  Some day though!  And more importantly, now some of our family members have a(n inspired) piece of family history in their homes!

Comments

  1. What beautiful tables you and your dad have made! I wished I lived closer and could order one! The doilies look wonderful on the tables. I especially love the red one. Such a beautiful pattern and very well executed indeed!
    I have a little (rather rickety)small round table I inherited from my dad. I keep a long floor-length cloth on it and add a crocheted mandala top which I change with the season or mood! I just love round tables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Great tables and fabulous doilies.
    I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad you like them!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  3. Well, what a fantastic project!!! Well done to you and your Dad!!! There must have been some hardcore power tool use there!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so beautiful! I love the maple ones, of course.

    They are the perfect size for doilies for sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed that you can do that kind of beautiful work on the lathe. Of course seeing your Dad's work I can tell you are learning from a master. I love the tables.
    The doilies are just fantastic. I am a huge fan of the one color white or ecru, but I must say the multicolor one spoke to me. Loudly.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts