Bright New Year's Scrapghan Block

Untitled

Since it's a new year, I should start a new Scrapghan huh?  (I suppose this also means I should put together the last one!)  I was given this pretty yarn as part of a Christmas gift (with a bright colors theme) from my friends when we exchanged gifts (and celebrated) on New Year's Eve.  And well, I can't let pretty yarn just sit around here for too long!

Untitled

So I picked a motif (042) from a Japanese crochet book, 300 crochet motifs and edgings, (I think this is the Chinese version of the Japanese book), which I got from my mom for Christmas.  There were so many motifs to choose from, and I can't wait to try some more!

Untitled

On New Year's Eve we ended up talking about the recent shootings here in the US and the general sad state of things.  It's kind of like a big cloud of negativity has settled over and affected everyone, making some people do awful things and leaving others sad, confused and angry.  I think everyone is need of a little brightness!  I for one find it too easy to get bogged down by depressing news and feel my faith in humanity start to wane.

Untitled
(This Kate Spade bag my friends put my beautiful yarn in certainly brightens my day!)

And during a similar conversation, my blog friend Sandra said "we must remain confident in the goodness of a great number of human beings and be the change we would like to see in others," which was something that struck her in an Eckhart Tolle book.  For this New Year, more than just wishing it be brighter and more positive, I hope that I am able to focus more on the beauty and goodness that is all around and let that dictate not only my attitude but my behavior.  Perhaps the more that people can do this, some positive energy could start to combat the negative.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comments

  1. Now that's a lovely bright square to energize the month of January. Three cheers for colours!
    It's trying to snow here, so definitely crochet weather!
    What a lovely crochet book you got for Christmas from your mum! You're going to have a fantastic time trying out all sorts of new patterns!
    I can see a little name in blue which I recognize up there!
    If you ever feel like reading some of Eckhart Tolle's books, you won't feel disappointed. They are a source of eternal wisdom. I especially love his words on nature and on being aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    What gorgeous, cheery colours you used for that square! And in that bag too!!! I love how you've matched bag with yarn!!! :-)
    I love the quote from your bloggy friend! I think it's a good mantra to live by (if one that's hard to heed sometimes in life). Thanks for sharing your thoughs on this.
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors and a great square. I like the striped bag. So cute.
    I agree that we have to try and remain positive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts