Travel Totems

Untitled

For Christmas, I made my traveling friends travel totems!  Horses are symbols for travel, freedom, movement, courage, power...  The design was inspired by scandinavian dala horses and rocking horses.  I really love how they came out, and I think I may just have to make more!

Untitled

Remember my Safe-Travel-Home-For-Christmas Totem Ornament?  Same idea, just a 3D version of it with a jute tail!

Untitled

They were cut from scrap maple we had from some other Christmas projects that I will share soon.  I drew my design in pencil, painted with non-toxic acrylic paints, and sealed them with non-toxic artist's varnish. A hole was drilled and some jute was glued in for the tail.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

And here's a picture of the ornament in action hanging on the tree!  I'm really liking these and am itching to make some more!

Comments

  1. Oh! I just love these horses and their cheerful colours! I like both designs and colours, but have a little soft spot for the blue,turquoise, orange and white together. This combination of colours gives the horse a special sort of dynamic energy!
    I feel like picking one up for the sheer pleasure of feeling the lovely shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so very cute. Reminds me of the years spent at the stable with DD#2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, YAY, I finally get to see how they turned out. These are so lovely. I just adore beautiful handmade ornaments. The wood and color blocking are so your style. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts