Supernatural Gifts

Supernatural Cross Stitch

I giggled to myself after I wrote the title to the list of (late) birthday gifts I was planning to make for my cousin: "Maria's Supernatural Gifts."  By "Supernatural" I meant the tv show Supernatural of course since Maria is a big Supernatural fan!  (She got me watching the show [which is on Netflix!], and now I'm almost done with Season 3.)

She had given me the idea of a Supernatural themed embroidery with a few quotes, like the pizza man quote above, and I had a blast figuring out what to make!  I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try some cross stitch!  For that piece, with two strands, I used letters from this site, and stitched green squares (because it seemed very pizza-like to me for some reason...), and put it in a 5x7 frame. 

Supernatural Cross Stitches

I hadn't cross stitched since I was about 12 when I used to go with my 80 some year old neighbor to her once a week craft day (which I suppose today we'd call a "stitch 'n bitch,") with her friends.  I'm not sure how many 12 year olds relish the time to hang out with a bunch of crafty old ladies, but I sure did! Haha!  Anyways, I'm not sure why I hadn't gone back to cross stitching, perhaps it was because I didn't feel like I could do it without my dearly missed neighbor.

Supernatural Cross Stitch Close Up

So the "Bitch" and "Jerk" hoops refer to the loving and endearing banter between the two main characters.  I know it doesn't sound very nice, but it's really sweet haha!  They were done in 4 inch hoops using letters I found here, using two strands.  I really love how somewhat ironic it is to cross stitch something a little crude.

Supernatural Keep Calm Tea Towel

I also wanted to do something incorporating Kansas' song "Carry On Wayward Son," (it's played a lot in the show) and thought I was so brilliant for making a play on the Keep Calm posters...  After a quick google search I realized I most certainly was not the first with the idea!  Oh well, maybe next time.

Keep Calm Close Up

So for this tea towel I mixed some fabric medium with my hot pink acrylic paint and stamped the words with some clear acrylic stamps.  After heat setting, washing and drying, it was good to go!  It was so easy, and I'm so happy with how it turned out.  It was the first time I had tried using fabric medium and it certainly won't be the last!

Overall, it was a fun project and I loved the finished pieces!  I love themed gifts anyways, because having parameters and restrictions helps aid creativity, or at least I think so!

Happy late birthday again Maria, and Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mother's and child care givers alike!

Comments

  1. I love the tea towel...too funny that the bridal shower I threw last year was a tea party based on the Keep Calm and Carry On poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say again how awesome these gifts were! Greg even chuckled at the hoops too! Thanks again my awesome cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super makes! I'd love to give cross stitch a try. I make the freebie purse that came with one of my Cath Kidston books, and that made me want to try a 'proper' project. I'll get on to it one of the days.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts