Ok, another wedding gift to share! I made an embroidery based on my friends' wedding invitation. It had doilies on it. How awesome is that?
For the doilies, I used THIS pattern (the Ravelry pattern page is HERE), and crocheted with DMC pearl cotton size 8 (color 823), and a 1.5mm hook. I believe each doily took a little over one ball (87 yard balls). Looking at the comments on Ravelry about the pattern, it looked like lots of people saw errors in the pattern, but I followed the pattern and didn't have any problems; the edging may not be exactly symmetrical like other patterns, but I thought it matched the pattern's photo and worked fine. After I finished embroidering, I glued the doilies onto the canvas fabric with Aleen's Tacky Glue (love that stuff!), and the rest of the doilies got wrapped around the back.
As for the stitching, I first traced my hand drawn design onto my canvas fabric with a disappearing ink marker, and embroidered the design with DMC pearl cotton size 5 (color 823). The names are done with the stem stitch, and the rest with the back stitch.
My dad made the awesome frame from a nice piece of ash (sorry, couldn't help it; I'll sit the next couple rounds out). He left me some room between the plexi-glass and the backing so that I could put some batting on the backing to give the piece a nice cushiony look and avoid the stitches from getting squished against the glass. I like the depth that was achieved by doing this.
Overall I love how this turned out and I liked using the DMC pearl cottons!