Mini Mandala Block Tutorial

Untitled

Here's the tutorial for the Mini Mandala Block that I first posted here.  If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Worsted Weight Yarn (I used Vanna's Choice)
Size J Hook
(Of course you can use any weight yarn with the appropriate hook size.)

Written in US stitch terms

Special Stitches:
dc3tog (double crochet 3 together)- 3 dc in same space keeping last loop of each dc on hook, yarn over and work off all 4 loops at once.

dc4tog (double crochet 4 together)- 4 dc in same space keeping last loop of each dc on hook, yarn over and work off all 5 loops at once.

Untitled
Rnd. 1-  Start with a magic ring.  Ch 3, dc3tog, ch 4, *dc4tog, ch 4, repeat from * twice, sl st to dc3tog, fasten off.

Untitled
You should have four clusters with ch 4 in between each.

Untitled
Rnd. 2-  In one of cluster stitches (sl st, ch 1, sc), *5 sc in next ch 4 space, sc in next cluster stitch, repeat from * around ending with 5 sc in last ch 4 space, sl st to first sc, fasten off.

Untitled
Note: I started round with a standing double crochet stitch.  For standing stitch: yarn over, insert hook into stitch, and complete dc as normal.  If you prefer, join with sl st and ch 3 to count as first dc of the round.

Rnd. 3- In sc that's in one of the 4 cluster stitches, *(dc, ch 1, dc), skip one sc, in next sc repeat from * around, sl st to first dc, fasten off. 

Untitled
Rnd. 4-  (3 dc, ch1) in each ch 1 space around, sl st to first dc, fasten off.

Untitled
Rnd. 5-  In ch 1 space to right of the 3 dc group that is directly above one of the 4 cluster stitches from rnd. 1 *(3 dc, ch 1), in next ch 1 space (3 dc, ch 1), in next ch 1 space (3 treble crochet, ch 2, 3 treble crochet, ch 1), in next ch 1 space repeat from * around, sl st in 1st dc, fasten off.

Untitled
Rnd. 6-  (I used same color as rnd. 2)  In any dc (sl st, ch 1, sc), sc in each dc and ch 1 space around and 3 sc in each corner ch 2 space, sl st to first sc, fasten off.

And you're done!

Untitled

Like always, if you try this pattern and have any problems, let me know!  I'd love to see what you make!

For those who want just the written directions without the photos:

Rnd. 1-  Start with a magic ring.  Ch 3, dc3tog, ch 4, *dc4tog, ch 4, repeat from * twice, sl st to dc3tog, fasten off.

Rnd. 2-  In one of cluster stitches (sl st, ch 1, sc), *5 sc in next ch 4 space, sc in next cluster stitch, repeat from * around ending with 5 sc in last ch 4 space, sl st to first sc, fasten off.

Rnd. 3- In sc that's in one of the 4 cluster stitches, *(dc, ch 1, dc), skip one sc, in next sc repeat from * around, sl st to first dc, fasten off.

Rnd. 4-  (3 dc, ch1) in each ch 1 space around, sl st to first dc, fasten off.

Rnd. 5-  In ch 1 space to right of the 3 dc group that is directly above one of the 4 cluster stitches from rnd. 1 *(3 dc, ch 1), in next ch 1 space (3 dc, ch 1), in next ch 1 space (3 treble crochet, ch 2, 3 treble crochet, ch 1), in next ch 1 space repeat from * around, sl st to first dc, fasten off.

Rnd. 6-  (I used same color as rnd. 2)  In any dc (sl st, ch 1, sc), sc in each dc and ch 1 space around and 3 sc in each corner ch 2 space, sl st to first sc, fasten off.

Comments

  1. Hi Kate!
    I just love those colours together! I have a feeling that four of those mini-mandala blocks sewn or crocheted together would look lovely too! So lovely and fresh looking!

    P.S. Not fun trying to decipher the word verification you put back on! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I'm going to do this weekend (or maybe even earlier!!!)!!!
    Thank you my dear!! I'll keep you updated about my (your) work!!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could tell just from the colors you used that this tutorial was made by you :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very pretty :) I will need to try this out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you do, let me know how it goes!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is just perfect!
    Thanks for taking the time to write this Tutorial. I am bookmarking it now...!
    Have a great week.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. Love the block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, this is a fantastic tutorial! I'm just imagining all the fun color combinations I could do!

    P.S. Thanks so much for your sweet birthday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great tutorial! Very clear, I will try to do it this weekend.

    Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely colour! And what a cute square!!! Do you reckon I could manage it, or is it not beginner-friendly???
    Have a great weekend....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found it! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts