Connie's Garden Tutorial

Connie's Garden

Remember when I posted the Connie's Garden square and said I would work on a tutorial?  Well here it is!  This pattern has popcorn stitches and picot stitches, which might seem tricky, but I'm going to do my best with photos and explanations so that if you've never tried these stitches before, you can learn how!  So don't be scared!

Untitled

Worsted weight yarn (I used Vanna's Choice)
Size J (6mm) hook
(Of course you can use any weight yarn with the appropriate hook!)

Written in US stitch terms

Special Stitches
Popcorn (pc) - in space indicated: 4 dc, remove hook from loop, insert hook from front to back through first dc stitch, pick up loop again, and pull through stitch.  Popcorn stitch made.

Picot (p) - chain 3, and slip stitch into previous single crochet (inserting hook into front loop of single crochet, and left most vertical bar under front loop of same single crochet, yarn over, and pull through vertical bar, front loop and loop on hook).  Picot stitch made.

(I will explain and show pictures of these special stitches again when it comes time for that stitch.)

Notes:
-I start with a magic ring (or adjustable ring).  (There are plenty of tutorials online if you don't know how to use one!)  If you don't know how or don't like to use them, you can instead start Rnd. 1 with:  Chain 5, double crochet in first chain stitch, ch 1, (dc, ch 1) 10 times, slip stitch to fourth chain of your original chain 5. (giving you 12 dcs and 12 ch 1 spaces)

-When starting a new round with a new color, I like to use a standing stitch.  For example, instead of slip stitching and chaining 3 to make the first double crochet, I yarn over, insert hook in first stitch and complete the double crochet like normal.  (Tip: holding your index finger over the slip stitched loop and the yarn over on your hook as you insert hook into the first stitch helps!)  But if you'd rather, just slip stitch and chain 3 to make first double crochet!

Ok, ready to start?!

Untitled
Rnd. 1- Start with magic ring.  Ch 4, (dc, ch 1) 11 times, slip stitch to third chain, fasten off.  (12 dc, and 12 ch 1 spaces)

Untitled
Rnd. 2- In each chain 1 space work (popcorn, ch 2), slip stitch to top of first popcorn stitch, fasten off.  (12 pc, 12 ch 2 spaces)  The following photos explain this round in detail:

Untitled
Start with standing double crochet stitch:  Yarn over, insert hook into a chain 1 space. (It helps to place index finger over the loop and the yo on your hook as you do this.)

Untitled
And complete the double crochet like normal!  Crochet 3 more dcs in same space.  We are now ready to make the popcorn stitch:

Untitled
Remove hook from loop, and insert hook from front to back through first double crochet stitch...

Untitled
Insert hook back into loop, and pull through first double crochet stitch...

Untitled
You now have a popcorn!  To complete round: chain 2, and * make a 4 double crochet popcorn stitch in next space, chain 2, repeat from * around, slip stitch to top of first popcorn stitch, fasten off.  (12 pc, 12 ch 2 spaces)

Untitled
Rnd. 3- Work (2 sc, picot, 2 sc) in each ch 2 space around, slip stitch to first sc, fasten off.  (48 sc, 12 p)   The following photos help explain the picot stitch...

Untitled
After first two single crochets, to make picot stitch: chain 3, and slip stitch into previous single crochet.  To make slip stitch: insert hook into front loop of sc, and left vertical bar underneath front loop, yarn over, and pull through all 3 loops on hook.

Untitled
The needle in this photo shows the left vertical bar I'm talking about!  After you insert hook into front loop, you will insert hook into left vertical bar just like the needle in this picture.

Untitled
Once your slip stitch on the single crochet is complete, you have your picot stitch!  To complete round: make 2 sc in same space, and in next space and each space around work (2 sc, p, 2 sc), slip stitch to first sc, fasten off.  (48 sc, 12 p)

Untitled
Rnd 4- Working between the last single crochet and first single crochets of each (2 sc, p, 2 sc) groups (right above the popcorn stitches!), work (sc, ch 4) all around, slip stitch to first single crochet, DON'T fasten off.  (12 sc, 12 ch 4 spaces)  (As you are working, you can pop the picots in front of the chain spaces if they end up behind the chain spaces.)

Untitled
To make sure I am between two of the (2 sc, p, 2 sc) groups to make my single crochet, I look at the back of my work, and make sure my hook is inserted under the "v" shape (around the popcorn stitch) just like the needle is in the photo above.

Untitled
Rnd. 5-  slip stitch into first chain 4 space, ch 3, 3 dc in same space, complete popcorn stitch (inserting hook into top of chain 3), ch 2, work another 4 dc popcorn stitch in same same space, ch 2, in next space and each space around work (pc, ch 2, pc, ch 2), slip stitch to top of first pc, fasten off.  (24 pc, 24 ch 2 spaces)

Untitled
Rnd. 6- In any ch 2 space work *(3 treble crochet, ch 2, 3 treble crochet), and working only in each of the chain spaces, work (2 dc), (2 half dc), (2 sc), (2 half dc), (2 dc), repeat from * around, slip stitch to first treble crochet, DON'T fasten off. 

Untitled
This is what you should have so far...  (4 ch 2 spaces, 24 treble crochets, 16 dc, 16 half dc, 8 sc) 

Untitled
Rnd. 7-  Chain 3, 1 dc in each of next 2 treble crochets, in ch 2 space work (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc), dc in each stitch around and (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in each ch 2 space, slip stitch to top of beginning ch 3, fasten off.  (4 ch 2 spaces, 88 dc)

Untitled
Rnd. 8- In any dc (slip stitch, ch 1, 1 sc), 1 sc in each dc and 3 sc in each ch 2 space around, slip stitch to first sc, fasten off.  (100 sc)

Connie's Garden
You're done!

Connie's Garden

If you have any questions, or find any errors, please let me know!

And for those of you who prefer just the written directions:

Connie's Garden

Rnd. 1-  Start with magic ring.  Ch 4, (dc, ch 1) 11 times, slip stitch to third chain, fasten off.  (12 dc, and 12 ch 1 spaces)

Rnd. 2- In each chain 1 space work (popcorn, ch 2), slip stitch to top of first popcorn stitch, fasten off.  (12 pc, 12 ch 2 spaces)

Rnd. 3- Work (2 sc, picot, 2 sc) in each ch 2 space around, slip stitch to first sc, fasten off.  (48 sc, 12 p)

Rnd 4- Working between the last single crochet and first single crochets of each (2 sc, p, 2 sc) groups (right above the popcorn stitch!), work (sc, ch 4) all around, slip stitch to first single crochet, DON'T fasten off. (12 sc, 12 ch 4 spaces)

Rnd. 5-  slip stitch into first chain 4 space, ch 3, 3 dc in same space, complete popcorn stitch (inserting hook into top of chain 3), ch 2, work another 4 dc popcorn stitch in same same space, ch 2, in next space and each space around work (pc, ch 2, pc, ch 2), slip stitch to top of first pc, fasten off.  (24 pc, 24 ch 2 spaces)

Rnd. 6- In any ch 2 space work *(3 treble crochet, ch 2, 3 treble crochet), and working only in each of the chain spaces, work (2 dc), (2 half dc), (2 sc), (2 half dc), (2 dc), repeat from * around, slip stitch to first treble crochet, DON'T fasten off.  (4 ch 2 spaces, 24 treble crochets, 16 dc, 16 half dc, 8 sc)

Rnd. 7-  Chain 3, 1 dc in each of next 2 treble crochets, in ch 2 space work (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc), dc in each stitch around and (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in each ch 2 space, slip stitch to top of beginning ch 3, fasten off.  (4 ch 2 spaces, 88 dc)

Rnd. 8- In any dc (slip stitch, ch 1, 1 sc), 1 sc in each dc and 3 sc in each ch 2 space around, slip stitch to first sc, fasten off.  (100 sc)

Copyright Signed With an Owl

Comments

  1. Ooh! Lovely, Kate! It looks so fresh and tempting with all those little bobbles! I love the two pinks with the two greens. It's great the way you've done photos for each step, I find that really helpful! Thank you for the very well explained tutorial! Now then, are you going to make a whole blanket?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a beautiful square! I know I'm going to try to make an afghan with it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions, and I'd love to see your finished afghan!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  2. They're so beautiful!! I'm still a novice grappling with basic stitches but these are something I'll definitely aspire to :) What are you going to do with these gorgeous squares? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! If you want to give those other stitches a try and run into any trouble I'd be more than willing to try to help out! Now I'm just waiting for an excuse to make a blanket so I can see what a whole blanket of these squares would look like!
      Kate :}

      Delete
    2. Would love to make this as afghan for granddaughter (in her fave colors), leaving for college. How much worsted (Vanna's) would I need?
      Thanks Kate, as this would be perfect, even if I don't finish until Christmas!

      Delete
    3. Hi, sorry it has taken a few days to respond! I have not made an entire afghan with this particular square, so I'm not sure how much it would actually take, especially not knowing how big of an afghan you'd like to make. When I make an afghan, I tend to estimate anywhere between 14 and 20 skeins. My advice is to buy a few skeins in the colors, and see how many squares you can get out of the couple of skeins, and then you can estimate how much you will need. If making multiple trips to the craft store is not feasible, maybe you would want to buy say 16 or 18 skeins, and see how many squares you can make?
      I wish I could be more helpful, best of luck!!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  3. So beautiful!!!!!!!
    Thank you Kate, xxxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful square! So colourful and such a variations of stitches, love it! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your instructions, not to mention your beautiful design itself, wow!
    So very clear, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And you're welcome!
      Happy crafting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  6. This is fabulous. It is a brilliant popcorn square. I have found in the past that they can look too bobbly and poke up but this just looks so perfect and flat :) pinning it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree! I used to hate popcorns, but now I really like them!!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  7. Very pretty, Kate! And what fantastic, clear photos!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend......
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic square! I must try that in my next blanket :-) Thank you for the tutorial, it looks brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kate for sharing this, it's a beautiful design and I fancy having a go. Have a great day! Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! Thanks! If you try it, let me know how it goes!!
      Have a fabulous week!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful tutorial. I must try this Connie's garedn, I love it!!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great tutorial Kate! I love the square!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Muchísimas gracias por el tutorial.
    Es precioso. Me encanta. Los colores todo es bonito.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the lovely pattern and tutorial. Just finished it up for a swap. Added a bit to get it up to 9". Very easy to follow and just cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm so glad you liked it and were able to follow! You made my day! :)
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the tutorial. It was very easy to follow and it turns out beautiful! I made this square for a swap - I added a few rows to make it 12".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! You're welcome! Thank you so much for the feedback!!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  15. Thank you for patterns and tututial! It's gorgeous!))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm so glad you like it!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  16. thank you for the tutorial
    you have shown very nicely how to do popcorn stitch
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kate,
    I found your pattern on ravelry while I was looking for something to crochet in the name of my aunt Connie, who passed away last month. It's funny how well this square matches her personality and her favorite colors (pink, green). Just wanted to let you know how much I liked the pattern and that I'm turning it into pillows for my grandma and mom, so they can each have a "Connie pillow".

    Thank you for the lovely pattern,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, and I'm so glad you like the pattern. I'm also so touched that it seems so perfect for your Aunt! Synchronicity at work I think!
      Thanks for sharing and happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  18. this is a gorgeous new granny square...would love a copy of the pattern sent via email if possible written or pdf form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Email me at signedwithanowl@gmail.com so I can have your email address, and I'll see what I can do!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  19. WHEN YOU ARE A BEGINNER LIKE ME , IT IS SO NICE TO HAVE EVERYTHING BROKEN DOWN AND EASY TO READ. MINE DIDN'T QUITE TURN OUT THE FIRST TIME. BUT I WLL KEEP ON TRYING AND I WILL!!!!!! MAKE IT LIKE YOURS.......THANK YOU FOR ALL THE CAREFUL INSTRUCTIONS KATE.....LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it Joy! If you need help with anything, just email me and I'll try to work you through it! signedwithanowl@gmail.com
      Happy hooking!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  20. This is beautiful. I love the popcorn stitch. Made an afghan using it. I'm going to have to make this square, wondering if its heavy enough to use on the table as a hot pad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful! What colors did you use? Looking forward to learning the stitches with your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry!

      I'm kicking myself for not writing down the specific colors, but I used Vanna's Choice yarn in the regular solids and the baby yarn, and the colors I'm pretty sure are Linen, Sweet Peat, Fern, Pink Poodle, and the darker pink is either Raspberry or Magenta (I don't have those colors in front of me to determine which one it was!)

      I hope this helps!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  22. What colors did you use?

    jgowdey@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for this place! Let´s get the party started! :) (I can see my needles calling me !!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!! You're welcome!!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  24. It's beautiful. What size does it end up being with the yarn and hook you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With the Vanna's Choice yarn and a J (6.0mm) hook, the square came to about 7.25 inches.

      If you are on Ravelry, you can see the pattern page and other people's projects from it here ----> http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/connies-garden

      Hope this helps!
      Kate :}

      Delete
    2. Kate says thanks to Kate. :)

      Delete
    3. Ha! Kate says you're welcome to Kate! :}

      Delete
  25. Seu tutorial é muito bem explicado. Muito obrigada pelas explicações.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful. I would like to make an afghan using this square but continuing to crochet around and make a a giant square with all the different stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks very much for the pattern its beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is fantastic. your up close photos are such a help; I learn best from pictures and these are so close and clear. Definitely going to make some of these for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad to hear! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  29. Hi Kate. I am a beginner with crochet, but you made this so easy with the pictures, that I really feel like an advage crocheter!!! Thankyou very much! Mandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Mandy! Makes my day to hear that!!
      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  30. Hi Kate :) this square is just awesome! I'm a beginner and you made this so easy to follow. Thank you for that!!
    I don't know if you can help with, but I've made 10 of this squares and some traditional ones, and I would love to Jin them together.
    How can I do that?
    Thank you so much!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana! I'm so happy to hear it!!

      You can sew them together by holding the squares right sides together, and whipstitching through the corresponding back loops of the two squares' single crochet stitches. Or holding the squares wrong sides together, you could crochet the squares together with single crochet stitches through the back loops of the single crochets.

      If you look at the end of this tutorial: http://signedwithanowl.blogspot.com/2011/09/little-circle-square-tutorial.html, I give some ideas for joining, and maybe the pictures will help. Feel free to email me (signedwithanowl@gmail.com) with any questions, and I'll do what I can to help!

      Happy crocheting!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  31. Hello Kate! :}
    I've been crocheting for a number of years making many different patterns. I love the popcorn stitches & finally love making treble stitches! These were always so cumbersome to me & I'd have to re-do so they didn't look so loose. All of my projects are give aways for gifts. Soon I'll keep something for myself, but that'll be after all of the gifts are made & given away! 🤫 I guess I just wanted you to know that I love your square of popcorns & I'll be making a baby blanket with them. I love crocheting! 💞 Thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us! 🤩 It is so fun to make! 🌹

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts