Under Wildwood Scrapghan Block

Untitled

As we're nearing colder and colder weather, (although I heard it's supposed to be close to 70 this weekend... weird), I want to make sure I have enough blocks to start putting my scrapghan together!  Curling up under a blanket with a fire going and a nice cup of tea in hand... oh where was I?  Ah yes, so I've made another block inspired by a book I recently finished.

Untitled

I found Under Wildwood to be even better than it's predecessor Wildwood.  The Wildwood Chronicles are written by Colin Meloy, (who is also a musician from The Decemberists [love!]), and the illustrations are done by artist and Meloy's wife, Carson Ellis.  Doesn't that creative collaboration make you swoon?  I absolutely love Meloy's writing style which is perfectly complimented by Ellis's illustrations.  I don't think I've ever read a novel where I felt that the illustrations added as much to the entire feel of the book as these do.

Untitled

As for the crochet, I picked colors inspired by the cover, illustrations, and the content of the book in general.  The design was inspired by this mandala illustration.  Beautiful isn't it?  I'll admit, it took me a LONG time until I was happy with a design that worked!  But I'm glad I stuck with it, because I was almost ready to throw in the proverbial hat (and I'm NOT a hat person.  Seriously, you want to see something scary?  See me in a hat.).

Untitled

Anyways, I think the Wildwood Chronicles are great for children and adults.  I especially love how Meloy cleverly introduces and defines new vocabulary.  So, if you want to immerse yourself into a unique world that you can easily visualize, these are the books to do so.  After finishing Under Wildwood, with all of its adventure and humor, I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Comments

  1. Oh this is a wonderful post, i love the colour choices you have made, i think this is gonna be a stunning blanket when its all sewn up.....just lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crochet square/block is amazing, I really like the colors combination!!!
    Where is a mandala, Kate takes inspiration!!! Good!!!
    I have to find those books!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of the latest scrapghan and how you were inspired by the book! The colours together have something mysterious and magical about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I am hoping to get Under Wildwood at some point soon (and I still need to read Wildwood again)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts