Air Plant Holders

Untitled
Photo credit: Ginny Britt

I gave you a little peek at one of the air plant holders I made my sister for her birthday here, and now I'm sharing the full post with you today. I ordered and sent her a little assortment of air plants from the Etsy shop CTS Airplants.  Having done that, I was a little nervous about making holders when I only had a general idea of their size...  I'm glad it worked out, and I hear she's bought more to fill out the frame a little more!

Untitled

I made the air plant frame from this tutorial on Apartment Therapy. Pretty easy, especially when you have a drill master (aka Dad) on hand to drill the holes in no time flat!

Untitled

The only wire we could find that was long enough, was several stranded, so it made knotting off a little tricky...   (The picture above is the best tying off job I did...  The other knots are not as pretty.)

Untitled
Photo credit: Ginny Britt

And here's the elephant again!  I think he's so cute!!

Untitled

I bought a plastic elephant toy at the dollar store, cut a hole in his back about an inch and a half in diameter with my pretty utility knife there, and sprayed him with gold spray paint.  Unfortunately, the spray paint didn't cooperate very well and stayed tacky for several days...  I've never run into that problem with spray paint before, and am wondering if it was because I sprayed it in the basement where it was a little bit cooler than usual?  Anyways, I painted over it with gold acrylic paint, and finished it off with my trusty artist's varnish.  Problem solved.

I think I want some air plants now!!  I also have to admit that I want to jump on the fiddle leaf fig tree band wagon!  Do any of you have air plants or a fiddle leaf fig tree?

Comments

  1. I remember when my kids had air plants which were attached to little pottery bases with a decoration. Your idea was good and I bet it looks really good now your sister has added more plants.
    I'd never heard of a fiddle leaf fig tree! I followed your link to have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had air plants before, but they look so interesting and cool in the holder you made!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts