Taper Candle Holders

Untitled

It's been awhile since I've worked in the wood shop! With a family wedding coming up, it was the perfect excuse to play with the lathe again. So I made these taper candle holders for part of the gift!

Untitled

Above is a shot of the turned butternut before holes were drilled for the brass ferrules and the antique oil finish was applied. It was the first time I've worked with butternut (it's fairly rare around here). I was a little nervous in the beginning because the wood was a bit feathery and splintery, but the more I cut and the more I sanded, the better it got. Phew!

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but the look I was going for was a mix of modern and traditional. And I was quite pleased with the end result!

Comments

  1. These candlestick holders are BEAUTIFUL! They will complement ANY decor, but will look especially beautiful in a mid-20-century modern decor! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I think I was heavily influenced by mid-century design which I LOVE!

      Delete
  2. So well turned, Kate, and the grain of wood is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look lovely,my little fox is still sitting on my shelf with his trees that you kindly sent me in a give away,he makes me happy whenever i see him thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And that made my day!! :) Makes me want to make some more wooden critters!
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts