It's been awhile since I've worked in the wood shop! With a family wedding coming up, it was the perfect excuse to play with the lathe again. So I made these taper candle holders for part of the gift!
Above is a shot of the turned butternut before holes were drilled for the brass ferrules and the antique oil finish was applied. It was the first time I've worked with butternut (it's fairly rare around here). I was a little nervous in the beginning because the wood was a bit feathery and splintery, but the more I cut and the more I sanded, the better it got. Phew!
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but the look I was going for was a mix of modern and traditional. And I was quite pleased with the end result!