Thursday, June 27, 2013

Baby Shower Gifts Part 1 of 2

Untitled

I loved making these baby gifts for my cousin Steph!  How cute is that giraffe?  You can find the pattern at I Love Buttons By Emma.  Also, with a motif from the Japanese crochet book 300 Crochet Motifs and Edgings, I made the baby blanket that the stripy giraffe looks so comfy on!  Want to see more?

Untitled

I see that the giraffe pattern (here) now has some edits to the pattern which is great!  I didn't mind changing a few things here and there to make the stitches and rows add up or make it look more like the picture, but I wouldn't have suggested the pattern if you are uncomfortable using a pattern as a starting guideline.  But perhaps with the changes you wouldn't have to make any adjustments!  (You can see above I added a tail as well!)

The specifics: I used Vanna's Choice in Silver Heather, Taupe and White, Vanna's Choice Baby in Duckie, Sweet Pea, and Little Boy Blue and Red Heart in Pumpkin, with a size G (4.0mm) hook.

Untitled

For the baby blanket I picked a simple square motif from 300 Crochet Motifs and Edgings, and used 5 colors (Vanna's Choice in Silver Heather and White, and Vanna's Choice Baby in Duckie, Little Boy Blue and Sweet Pea), and a size J Crochet hook.  I joined squares as I went (randomly choosing colors) and made it 12 squares by 12 squares.  The final size of the blanket was about 41 inches square.

Untitled

After all the squares were joined I decided to leave the blanket without a border.  I liked the simple patchwork look of it!

Untitled

It was an easy and fun crochet project!  I love projects where you feel like you make progress quickly, (and I really love the practicality of a blanket as well)!

Stay tuned for Part 2... another crochet project!

10 comments:

  1. It's so cute! Love the colors you used...I'm sure your cousin and baby will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that giraffe! And I think adding the tail was an excellent decision. Super cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!! I loved that giraffe pattern after I saw it awhile ago, and was thrilled when I had the excuse to actually make it!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  3. What a lovely gift for a new baby! I love the patchwork blanket and that giraffe is so cheeky and cheerful. I like the addition of orange in his stripes and the ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute gifts!! I love them both, the giraffe is so cheery and I love that you've used a different motif than a traditional granny square for the patchwork blanket. Your colours are great too, take care Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! I'm glad you like the motif I picked, as it took me awhile to find one I was happy with! I wanted something that had a little design to it, but at the same time I didn't want something that had any big holes!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  5. LOVE !!!!!!!!
    you did a great job Kate!!!! I like the blanket so much.......!!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stinkin' adorable!! The giraffe is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate! I can't believe I missed this one! I love the colours you've used in your giraffe and blanket! In fact, I'm sewing (or trying to sew) a quilt for my best friend (who's due to have a baby in September), and I'm using similar colours. Will show you when it's done. Clearly, we both have good taste! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love it and its gonna be hard to share it with Gavin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)