It's done, and I love it!
When it came time to sewing the squares together, I didn't like how the corners were coming together. Because I didn't put enough single crochets in the corners when doing the white border, the stitches were stretching a lot to meet. I tried forcing it, and it just didn't look good. So I listened to the blanket, and didn't sew across to the next square, leaving little diamond holes in between the squares. I really like the way those spaces became a design element (even if it wasn't intentional from the start). Running into what you may call a problem can often lead to even better results. As my dad says "there are no problems, only solutions."