Remember these ornaments I showed you back here? Well, I got them finished, blocked and starched! Now I just have to cut some thread to make hangers for them! Want to take a closer look?
I don't remember where I found the starch recipe, but this is what I did: I dissolved 2 heaping teaspoons of cornstarch in a tablespoon of cold water, brought a cup of water to boil, reduced the heat, stirred in the dissolved cornstarch until it got a little thicker, and then let it cool for a bit.
I dipped the ornaments into the gooey mixture, worked the starch into the crochet with my hands, trying not to make it too gooey, but making sure that it was really soaking into the crochet. I'm not explaining it very well, but it was a tricky balance to achieve. Messy as well!
I put wax paper over my blocking mats, and ended up pinning out only some of the shapes with t-pins. There were quite a few ornaments that held their shape on the wax paper without needing to be pinned.
I let them dry over night, and unpinned and unstuck them from the wax paper.
I'm pretty pleased with how they all turned out! The starching part of the project took longer than I thought, but it was well worth the effort!